A pink flamingo wrote about lemons the other day. She said, "Everyone expects life to be easy and when a lemon is thrown our way, we
get upset and we don't always deal with it in the best way possible."
I think it's pretty interesting that my background is lemons. I thought it was something soft and maybe sweet - with a hint of new babies and family wallpaper around.
But it might be more accurately telling something about all the lemons life has given me, and telling me to hold them in my hand. taste them. find some way to delight in them.
I have no lemon tree. I did not plant one. I did not buy one. So how have they come?
From whence these lemons that fall like hail?
My friend has a child, who is close to four now, and her name means lemon. Her father is a chef and it was just the sweetest thing i'd ever heard of. I wish I could remember her name to tell you, its japanese. But yes, baby lemon.
Then, there's the moment when I cut a lemon in half and the real lemon juice scent was so fresh and filled me with excitement. Never again would I buy lemon aid. I am wishing for a little lemon squeezer and waiting to make my own (and put it in a clear glass jug too)
I can't deny that I am excited to make alcoholic versions and have real leaves and maybe mint in there. But this is a blog about lemons, so I won't say anything more about that for now.
The thing is though. Lemons are sour. They can shock you and make your face twist up suddenly.
It's funny, but it's not exactly anyone's best look.
So, the expression goes, "If life gives you lemons, add lots of sugar and make it into something that hides the fact that there are lemons in it"
!!!ah! Just startled by that black cat!!! Who was staring at me - and Miawed!!
Now I'm all startled and distracted. (What is going on with this cat?)
Lemons even show up in my favourite song by lisa mitchell, coin laundry
Now I'm imagining a little baby sleeping in a lemon.
And thinking I should look for lemon earings.
When I was in Victoria I loved the lemon stand. Especially when it was closed and was simply a giant lemon with a door.
I knocked, but no one answered.
Do you remember Strawberry Shortcake? She had a lemon friend. Who lived in a Lemon and probably made lemon things. Wonderfully redundant.
Hi, haven't seen you for a while Miss. Lemon Mirangue
incidently, Lemon Mirangue pie is my most favouritist pie ( with strawberry rubarb running a close second) The blast of cold sour lemon and the whimsy of Mirangue.. is pure magic.
Lemon poppyseed muffins are my favourite muffin.
So interesting that something sour and with negative connotations is the colour of the sun and the brightest of feelings.
Before I was born, my mother was certain that I was a boy and the doctors that I was a girl. So, my room was yellow and my blankets were yellow.
I was told I looked good in yellow.
I wore a yellow dress when I walked down my first outdoor aisle through the forest, in my aunts wedding.
wait. this has nothing to do with lemons anymore.. oops! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment